Mars Odyssey UHF Test

My apologies for this if off-topic, but I expect few have seen this.  There
is an article by Philip Chien, KC4YER, page 70, in the June CQ Magazine.  I
did not send the attachments to not clutter up your mail.  If you would
like them send me a request via direct e-mail.  I will collect the rquests
and send a group mailing.

I will not be able to try this as the spacecraft
is below my horizon.  You may want to contact Dr. Callas if you have other
questions {I am not going to run path link analysis,
either}.

Ed

To:
mars-net@LISTSERV.STLAWU.EDU Subject: Mars Odyssey UHF Test Cc:
Dquagliana@aol.com, kc4yer@AMSAT.Org, al7eb@ptialaska.net,
csosborne@citcom.net

Dear Radio Amateurs,

First, let me apologize for the lack of notification and the lateness
of this message. I had alerted many of you before about a possible
UHF test from Stanford with the Mars Odyssey spacecraft now on its
way to Mars. A variety of technical and programmatic issues have
complicated the design and implementation of this test. The bottom
line is that the opportunities for Hams to listen are less than
original envisioned. However, the plan recently developed does have
a possible opportunity on 2001-06-06 UTC with a possible second
opportunity on 2001-06-08 UTC.

Attached to this e-mail are three PDF files. The first file
(OdysseyPosition.pdf) provides a time ordered list of the Right
Ascension and Declination (in geocentric coordinates) for Mars
Odyssey for the test days in question. The file also has the range
rate, so one can calculate the expected Doppler shift to the
437.100000 MHz transmitted signal from Odyssey, Please note that all
transmissions are with right hand circular polarization (RHCP).

The second file (OdysseyTimeline.pdf) is the timeline of the test.
You will notice the use of continuous wave (CW) from the spacecraft
at the start of the test. This will likely be the only opportunity
to detect a signal at Earth for the Hams.

The third file (OdysseyLink.pdf) is the link analysis for Stanford.
>From this analysis you can calculate what expected signal you might
have with your equipment.

Again, I know this is short notice and many of you may not be
prepared to take advantage of this opportunity. In any case, please
let me know if you attempt to listen. I look forward to hearing from
you.
Best of luck to you all! And thank you for your support and interest.
Sincerely,
John Callas

"John.L.Callas" <John.L.Callas@jpl.nasa.gov>