RE: AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V band

>From: "Michael P. Olbrisch" <kd9kc@elp.rr.com>

Mike,

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

{in my opinion} The main reason ham radio is not attracting younger or new
folks, isn't that it is "Too costly-technical-knowlege needing", but that
most of ham radio is exactly lacking interest by being not challenging or
technically stimulating {at least for the kids...they go to the computers,
instead}.

I won't argue that our hobby isn't easy to spend a lot of money on, but
there are opportunities to do it cheap for those sufficiently motivated.
The choice is buy it off the shelve...show me the money, or expend your
efforts to learn how to do it cheaper.  Off-shelf cheap is rarely found
{but sometimes}.

I would suggest the "real" reason folks bail from ham radio isn't cost
{normally}, it is either rude operators, or loss of interest {nothing new
happening}.  How many 2m-HT hams quit after a couple years? WELL satellites
are NEW and HAPPENING.

You know there are several exisiting Leo-FM satellites up, and there have
been plenty RS mode-A/K/T satellites.  So if ham aren't getting into
satellites, cheap-EZsats isn't the reason.  I would guess mis-perception
IS!  {it costs too much/its too hard}

After fighting the FM-sat pile-ups for awhile, hams want a better
system...one that provides opportunity for working DX regularly and a
normal conversation can be had.  The phase-3 linear transponder sats
provide this.

We can argue the point till we are blue in the face, but ham-sat equipment
sales are up and Amsat membership is up now that AO-40 is flying!

Ed
PS:  This is not to say more EZ-sats will not be built; clearly they will,
but Amsat need not do it...they do need to lead the satellite
community...who else will build a AO-10/13/40 or a P3Lite?