Re: AO-40 Station - How and How much

I figure I am as cheap as the next guy, so here goes:

Tracking software - FREE from various sources on the net
Compass instead of rotors (ptional  at ~$50 each) - $5 (gotta know where to
point)
Drake D/C - $50 (you mod it yourself with your skill)
Xtal for Drake - $15 (you install and 'net' on 2m )
BBQ antenna - $91 ( I did not achieve satisfaction from the Helix attempts )
Feedline $.50/ft (what ever length you need)
TV tri-pod to mount antenna - $20
1 1/4" mast - $10
Desire - FREE!

Total = ~$200

Unless I have had a senior moment (this is the 3d year I celebrate being 50)
you should now be able to listen to the beacon under moderate conditions.
Right now, that is all any of us can do. When you are ready to transmit then
add the 435 rig from another buddy and feedline.

This is VERY minimalistic(?) setup but it will work. I have this sitting in
my back yard now and feed my VR-5K instead of my FT-847. It has been my
experience that, to try any new mode in Amateur Radio, it costs just about
$500. That comes to about $15 a week and that ends up being my Toy budget.

Most have their own 2m multi mode from previous Toy budget expenditures, as
well as the 435 rig.

A lot of us have developed these stations over a period of time. To get
"instant" satellite access you substitute Big money for a history of modest
investments.