Re: AMSAT has a SECRET!

Hello Jon!

01 Jun 01 22:52, you wrote to guy lemke:

 JO> I think Bob's idea is that there are a LOT of those Radio Shack 10m
 JO> rigs around out there that are cheap.
 JO>
 JO> Here is what you need to spend to get on a mode A satellite with new
 JO> equipment:
 JO>
 JO> FT-817 (recently less than $700 at Dayton): approx $750
 JO> Radio Shack 10m rig: $100

That's about it...  But if you already have one or the other, you're way ahead.

I can run up to 25W portable on 2m (and easuly luggable too).  For 10m, I have
a Dragon HT.  Bit fiddly for sat use, but it will receive the RS-12/13 downlink
on a 2' rubber duck.  A bit more downlink power would improve the link budget
for the likes of pedestrian mobile. :)

Cost $350 (Aussie) new...

Tony, VK3JED

.. Computer (n) - see Aggravation Stimulation Device