Re: AMSAT has a SECRET!

on 6/1/01 8:15 PM, Bob Bruninga at bruninga@usna.edu wrote:

> Regarding the next satellite:  "HANDI-SAT"
>
> Here is my take.  I want to build a 2m uplink, 10m downlink linear
> satellite.  Yes, Its the old MODE-A,  BUT design it for HT'S!
>
> Remember, now with the Yeasu 817 and now the Kenwood TH-F6A with all mode
> receivers, by next year we will have an HT with ALL MODE transmitter too.
> BINGO!  THen we have HAM Radio HAND-HELD two-way VOICE that can support 30
> or more simultaneous QSO's.

Hey, Bob,

That's a GREAT idea!

I really wish Kenwood would have made the HT go up to 2.4 GHz.  That way it
combined with an FT-817 would make a GREAT portable AO-40 setup.

But for your simple, do it on the cheap bird projects, that HT is absolutely
IDEAL.  Cube sats could easily support this kind of thing.

And (and I am not being facetious here) perhaps cube sats could ride along
with whatever our next major ham payload is going to be.  I would think the
small cube sats could easily be accommodated.

Fun times ahead!

73,

Jon
NA9D