Re: AO-40 Station - How and How much

You will need a 70 cm all-mode transceiver for the uplink. There are
probably used IC-471's available for a few hundred dollars. Alternatively
you can purchase an old dual band all-mode satellite transceiver like the
IC-821 for about $1000 or the newest model for about $1600.

The 2 m rig will work with an S-band downconverter. I haven't tried any of
the surplus converters, but use Down East Microwave
(www.downeastmicrowave.com) converter and LNA that I purchased several years
ago. Their current prices are:

13ULNA Preamp - $45 for PCB kit to $120 assembled in weatherproof box
2400-144R Coverter - $120 PCB kit to $200 assembled

RG-58 coax should work for the connection to the 2 m receiver if it is not
more than 50 feet long.

You will need a 2 foot diameter dish ($40 from Down East), a mounting
bracket and a feed. A suitable feed is described in "A 60 cm S-Band Dish
Antenna" which can be downloaded from
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/articles/g3ruh/g3ruh-index.html.

The uplink antenna can be any yagi with a gain of 12 dBi or more. M2
(http://www.m2inc.com/) sells their model 420-50-11 for $103. Use Belden
9913F or Times LMR-400 coax for this antenna. It costs about $0.70 per foot.

An antenna rotator is useful. As far as I know, the Yaesu G-5500 is the only
product available and costs about $600.

I hope that this helps.

73,

John