S-band Helix Feed wire diameter

Is there any advantage/disadvantage in building a helix dish feed from
1/4" copper pipe
rather than 10 or 12 gauge wire at 2.4GHz? I was thinking it might
make the helix to N-connector
interface a bit "nicer", and a bit stiffer overall.  If I keep the
radius the same (measure to the center of the pipe), should it work
just as well?

"Nicer" means I could drill a hole through the end of the pipe where
it should mate to the N-connector center pin, slide it over the pin,
and solder.

Bill
W1PA