AMSAT has a SECRET: why not 10m instead of V band

At 08:17 AM 6/1/2001 , you wrote:
>on 6/1/01 1:10 AM, Simon Lewis at simon@creoch.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
>

> >> I agree with the satellite bands picked.  There are still a LOT of people
> >> who have 2m and 432 only.  Many people cannot afford the extra $$$ to buy
> >> downconverters or transverters after purchasing an FT-847 or similar.  I
> >> urge the BOD NOT to drop any bands.
> >

> > Given the success of stations now monitoring and using AO40 with a variety
> > of modified equipment, I'd
> > consider that a past fallacy! Ao40 has shown that the microwave links ARE
> > the future and AMSAT-NA should make that choice. Time to bury this
> > insistance from the US for V/U links on P3 type satellite.
>
>I don't disagree that microwaves are the future.  Indeed, with the bandwidth
>available in mode L/S, it makes the 2m bandwidth look small indeed.
>However, there is still much to be gain from having V and U transponders.
>
>There are a lot of portable radios out that that make it a snap to operate
>in V/U or U/V mode: FT-290, FT-790, FT-817 (although you'd need 2 of them or
>the new Kenwood handheld for RX as the 817 doesn't do full duplex) .  Your
>commerically made satellite rigs come with it.  There is no question about
>it that adding L and S bands add cost and complexity to the system.  Is it
>too difficult for the average person to do?  No, but microwaves DO indeed
>scare a lot of people away.
>
>Microwaves may not be mysterious to you and I.  We are comfortable with
>them.  But to the average appliance operator ham, they are.  It's bad enough
>to tell them that we want them to get on satellite.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>NA9D

I might do away with a 2m link in favor of a 10m downlink capability. That
way any ham or SWL who has a general coverage receiver 160-10m will be able
to hear the satellite. Once they hear it they might get interested and want
to talk thru it too. I would suggest that more people  (hams and SWLs) have
a general coverage HF receiver as compared to an all mode VHF receiver.
They are less expensive to buy too.

A 10m downlink could be heard well on a dipole antenna.

Make a satellite in an AO-40 orbit (that was planned).
With 10m and S band downlinks.
With U and L band uplinks.

W4SCO