Re: AMSAT has a SECRET!

> > agree with the satellite bands picked.  There are still a
> > LOT of people who have 2m and 432 only.  Many people
> > cannot afford the extra $$$ to buy downconverters or
> > transverters after purchasing an FT-847 or similar.  I
> > urge the BOD NOT to drop any bands.

  Who needs an ft847?  A preamp, drake converter, ten-tec 2m-10m
transverter and a radio-shack 10m rig works for the downlink.

  The uplink can be done with something similar on 440 into
a KLM 40cx hack-sawed in half (and split the cost with your neighbor...
:^)

  My first AO-13 reception was on an old ft101EE/2m transverter with
a cushcraft 11-el 2m linear FM beam that I added 11 elements to, then
added a
preamp to.  (And yes - I heard the transponder noise-floor on ao-13
when the squint was good.)

  Yes - the microwave stuff "costs money" but the good news (really)
is that the current crop of big-bucks satellite rigs offer very little
advantage over what you can cobble together yourself with lesser
equipment.

  If I had to summarize AO-40  cost distribution, I'd say that the
cost has moved from the desktop to the antenna mast, but it certainly
hasn't increased...  (And the antenna sizes for a GOOD recieving
setup are approaching what can be succesfully loaded on a pair
of TV rotators...)

  And more importantly, in my case,  after 20 years of hamming,
I'm actually learning something while I try to get my "microwave"
station running.

  -al
  WB1BQE