Re: AMSAT has a SECRET!

on 6/1/01 1:10 AM, Simon Lewis at simon@creoch.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>> I agree with the satellite bands picked.  There are still a LOT of people
>> who have 2m and 432 only.  Many people cannot afford the extra $$$ to buy
>> downconverters or transverters after purchasing an FT-847 or similar.  I
>> urge the BOD NOT to drop any bands.
>

> Given the success of stations now monitoring and using AO40 with a variety
> of modified equipment, I'd
> consider that a past fallacy! Ao40 has shown that the microwave links ARE
> the future and AMSAT-NA should make that choice. Time to bury this
> insistance from the US for V/U links on P3 type satellite.

I don't disagree that microwaves are the future.  Indeed, with the bandwidth
available in mode L/S, it makes the 2m bandwidth look small indeed.
However, there is still much to be gain from having V and U transponders.

There are a lot of portable radios out that that make it a snap to operate
in V/U or U/V mode: FT-290, FT-790, FT-817 (although you'd need 2 of them or
the new Kenwood handheld for RX as the 817 doesn't do full duplex) .  Your
commerically made satellite rigs come with it.  There is no question about
it that adding L and S bands add cost and complexity to the system.  Is it
too difficult for the average person to do?  No, but microwaves DO indeed
scare a lot of people away.

Microwaves may not be mysterious to you and I.  We are comfortable with
them.  But to the average appliance operator ham, they are.  It's bad enough
to tell them that we want them to get on satellite.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden