Re: AMSAT has a SECRET!

on 5/31/01 8:16 PM, Larry Kayser at kayser@sympatico.ca wrote:
I wouldn't say it's a secret.  This idea has been floating around for quite
a while.

This satellite will not be a bare bones satellite.  It will have virtually
everything P3D has, but no propulsion system.

I agree with the satellite bands picked.  There are still a LOT of people
who have 2m and 432 only.  Many people cannot afford the extra $$$ to buy
downconverters or transverters after purchasing an FT-847 or similar.  I
urge the BOD NOT to drop any bands.

>From my understanding the satellite will have LEILA, Rudak and other stuff
(perhaps I am wrong, but I had a conversation with an AMSAT big wig at
Dayton and I thought he said that would be on it).

So this won't be a "basic" satellite by any means.

The biggest thing of all this is that AMSAT-NA is running this program.
AMSAT-NA has not done a satellite program since the microsats in the early
90s.  They have not done a HEO bird ever from my knowledge.  AO-10, AO-13
and AO-40 were all under the management of AMSAT-DL.

To me, this is the biggest news of all.  It's not to say that AMSAT-DL
doesn't know what they are doing or anything like that.  It's just nice to
have the AMSAT I belong to as the managing entity on the new program.

73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden