Re: Powering a preamp: photo

Good Evening to All,

I have just completed one of the DEM 2.4 ghz preamp kits.  I installed
two "F" connectors in the side of a home made enclosure, tied the two
center conductors together and ran a small choke down to the B plus pad
on the preamp.  Run the downlead coax (with power) to one of the
connectors and connect a jumper from the other to the output of the
converter and both will be powered.  I tested it on the bench with a
Drake converter and everything works fine.  I built my own enclosure from
brass end plates and double sided PC board for the sides and covers but
it is a hassle to make the box and Mike, W1BFN, says there is plenty of
room in the DEM enclosure for the jacks so I think that is the way to go.

Incidentally, I put the converter in front of a fully modified Drake on
the workbench and got an extra 12 to 14 db in gain.  I can't measure
noise figure but it looks like weak signal detection is improved by more
than 1 db (but less than 2).  Just about what should be expected I think.

73's de Jess - W4MVB