Helix lenght limit

Hi all,

  I've read several references on this list to the maximum practical lenght
limit of an helix antenna. It seems to be about 3ft at 2.4GHz, right?
  However, consulting the ARRL antenna book chapter on helicals I didn't find
any reference to this matter. Can anyone give some explanation or some link
about how to know/calculate this limit vs. working frequency or something
similar?

  Sorry if this has been asked earlier, but couldn't read all the e-mails...

 Thanks for any info. Best regards

  Claudio
  CT3KD