Popularity of 2m I.F.

Was on the phone with a good friend the other day,  extolling the
virtues of ao-40 (of course).  He has always been interested in
satellite communications,  and is real receptive to the idea of getting
a mode S downlink setup running.  But he posed a question that I had
no clear answer for - "Why does everybody want to use 2m as an I.F.,
given the proliferation of good used hf radios?  Why not use 10m?

So,  what should I tell him?

tu de Rich

Rich Dailey, KA8OKH - Phyllis Dailey, KB4NPI