Re: 144 MHz TX inhibit for FT-847

In a message dated 5/29/2001 11:17:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
W10191@motorola.com writes:

> The mod is very simple.

Hi Wayne,

This is the exact mod I've used for years on my 736R (along with a couple of
others for terrestrial work). It's also good for the FT-290.

For folks who are designing protection systems, be aware that certain Yaesu's
will transmit briefly when you turn them on. I first discovered this when
doing an AO-27 demo at a local hamfest. I had a ARR RF switch preamp
energized inline for 70 cm. I reached down and turned on my FT-470 dual band
HT and the preamp switched!!

My biggest fear with my downconverter was a brief power failure causing the
radio to cycle on/off thereby transmitting a brief spike up the line. With
the TX 8 line disabled I can't see how this will happen. As always, your
mileage will vary.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649