AIDC 3733 Crystal Information

 >From K5GNA:

People have been asking me about the crystals.  I originally tried the 60
degree cut crystals for the PTC thermistors and did not like the results.  I
ordered the ambient temperature cut crystals and that is what I am offering.

PROBLEMS WITH THE PTC THERMISTOR + CRYSTAL.

1. The closeness of the spacing in the downconverter meant that the crystal
and terminator were in contact with the case and thus it was trying to
thermally stabilize the whole downconverter case. It did reach some thermal
equilibrium, but not as good as expected.  Then, I cut my case up and put
Styrofoam over the crystal (now mounted vertically) and it helped, but this
would not be feasible for everyone to do.  I am back to using an unmodified
one.

2.  Even though the crystal was trembly stabile with the PTA thermistor
attached in heatshrink and Styrofoam, components on the circuit board (I
suspect the trimmer) caused some slight short time thermal drift.  The same
amount of drift was measured in an unmodified one using the same test.

CONCLUSIONS:

1. The downconverter will reach some thermal equilibrium by itself if it is
left on continously and will be suitable for AO-40.

2.The 60 degree crystal and PTC thermistor helped, but is not for everyone.

3. Insulating the downconverter on the dish will aide the thermal stability.

TNX & 73,

Bob Seydler
K5GNA