Re: AO-40 spreadsheet

   Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:06:41 -0400
   From: Margaret Leber <maggie@voicenet.com>

   Edward R. Cole wrote:

   > When you have done that you have made your first radio astronomy
   > observation, by the way!  A neat QSL for doing this is available from the
   > SETI-League for this accomplishment.  See:
   > http://www.setileague.org/awards/qslcard.htm

   Where we read:

   ---snip---
   Categories:
   QSL cards will be issued for documented reception of unique sources in
   any of four specific categories of extra-terrestrial electromagnetic
   emission, as follows:

<snip>
   Human -- Electromagnetic transmissions from any manned or unmanned
   spacecraft, space probe, communications or navigation satellite, or
   similar artifact of human technology, if received from beyond the
   Earth's atmosphere on qualifying equipment (see Equipment, below).

   Equipment:
   To qualify for a QSL Card, documented reception must have been
   accomplished with equipment normally used for, or capable of being used
   for, radio astronomy. Reception of navigation signals on a GPS or
   similar geolocation receiver, placing of a mobile telephone call which
   has been relayed via satellite, or the reception of satellite TV or
   similar broadcast signals from an orbiting spacecraft, are specifically
   excluded from consideration for this award.
   ---snip---

   So...looks like EME counts. So do Oscar and ISS contacts. The AO-40
   *beacon* may be considered a broadcast, I dunno.

   73 de Maggie K3XS

In fact, it sounds like reception of the ISS or MIR on 143.625 would
qualify.

73, doug