Re: Re: Trading across borders

OK Guys,

You win!  It cost non-USA hams less to order direct...BUT, Kuhne does not
sell direct to the USA and they state on their price page at the top:
http://www.db6nt.com/pricing.html
"Prices not valid for the USA, please call to SSB Electronic USA,..."

So its a mute point.  If you live in the USA and want to purchase Kuhne
Electronics equipment, you deal with SSB.  Now a question that comes to
mind is whether SSB gets a wholesale price or pays the same as you non-USA
customers?  If he is paying the same, then he adds his profit on top.  I
suspect he is not running a no-profit charity, here!  Sorry!  That was a
bit strong, but I do get a bit frustrated with people who expect companies
to sell at cost!

Did you know that standard mark-up from wholesale is 50-100%?  Looks to me
like SSB is making what?  $145-107/107 = .36 {that is 36% mark up without
taking into account customs duty which may be 10% or more}

But, hey.  I like DEM equipment have bought a lot from them.  Usually in
the USA that will save you a little to a lot of $ on your outlay.  I also
like the quality of Kuhne products and am willing to pay the moderate
premium for them.  The surplus convertors are a boon to the whole AO-40
microwave community.  A definite savings.  I bought three Drakes in 1999
for $100 [they are not for sale; don't ask].  I look for the bargains, too,
but sometimes also willing to pay more for assured performance.  I also
have a personal policy of spreading my ham dollars amongst the ham
equipment vendors to keep them all in business providing us with a variety
of neat products.

In the end, its your choice!  You vote with your dollars, pounds, marks,...

Ed