Synthesizer 5 - 5.5 MHz

The Yaesu FT-301 VFO tunes over a 500 kHz range to give the required band
coverage on each band setting.  The bandswitch takes the radio to 14.000 and
the VFO then provides the coverage to 14.500 MHz.  Other radios of that era
are of a similar design, such as Drake,etc.

I require the circuit diagram of a synthesizer which would allow that 500
kHz tuning range.  The synthesizer should have an output of 5 - 5.5 MHz.

Alternatively, some software and an interface to perform this function with
a PC would be welcome too.  A PC solution would require less hardware and
make the system more flexible and powerful.

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thank you
Deon ZR1DQ
www.qsl.net/zr1dq