Re: AO-40 Reception Question

Gerald Payton wrote:

> I haven't read any reports of individuals using the Millicom and their
> success/failures.  Am I the only one to buy one of these?

Good heavens, no! I logged several contacts (including five on the first
day) with a Millicombought from Mark, barefoot on a 16-turn helix, using
my FT-847.

Since then it's seemed to work not quite as well...signals have seemed
weaker here since those first few days. I may have some deterioration in
my antenna. But when I can hear the beacon clearly, I can almost always
hear my CW signal, and often my sideband. Reports of my signal show that
this set up is not the best ears in the world. Unfortunately my sky to
the east is blocked with my antenna system in it's current location. I
want to have it working *well* before sticking it up at the peak of my
steeply-sloped roof. A pre-amp would clearly be a *big* help.

I'd say the results you're seeing are about typical; at this point I'm
thinking that BBQ and helix users may be pretty close in performance,
trading pointing error for gain. A quiet, high-gain front end seems to
be key working the S2. The 27dB gain/3dB NF provided by the Millicom
seems to be kinda marginal for the current situation.

73 de Maggie K3XS