AO-40 Reception Question

Sometime back when Mark Fossum obtained all the Drake d/c's for us, I
elected to buy the Millicom d/c from him that was already converted to 145
MHz output.

I haven't read any reports of individuals using the Millicom and their
success/failures.  Am I the only one to buy one of these?

I've got mine on an Andrews Bar-B-que type antenna and have occasional
success receiving the beacon on AO-40.  When I do hear the beacon and get
good CRC's, any voice or CW signals on AO-40 are weak.  Other times, I get
"zilch."  I have rationalized (to myself) that this may be due to
off-pointing and/or weak signal.  I have ordered a preamp kit from DownEast.

I'm new and was just wondering what to expect.  I'm using an ICOM IC-820 and
hope in the near future to upgrade to a Yaesu 847.

73,
Jerry  N5GPC