Re: AO-40 spreadsheet

Gents and ladies:

I strongly support this idea . . ..

Just the other night, while servicing a friends handheld, I learned the
hardway that I had not disabled the APRS transmitter like I thought.
When it came on, my signal generator went "click" and the UNLEVELLED
warning started flashing.  Since I was already feeling unwell, you can
imagine the reaction, language etc.

GOt out the manual to look for what parts I had to try and find .. ...
discovered that they have an RF fuse in the signal generator.  IT
consists of a simple diode detector, opamp wired as comparator, and a
relay which connects the generator output to a 51ohm resistor instead of
the output connector.  The click was the relay . . . .A power off reset
restored my generator to service.  Obviously, I'm grateful for Wavetek
protecting me from my self . . .

I've seen many preamp designs which have a MMIC following the GaASFET
(WAY too much gain) then followed by a 3 or 6 or 10 db resistive
attenuator.  This will probably protect the preamp from a slight oops,
and is in fact what they do to allow RF-sensed switching without cooking
the FET.  I think the combination of something like this, combined with
the "rf fuse" can protect against anything but a >250 watt oops.

Hope this helps somebody.

73,
Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org