Re: Drake Internal Preamp Mod

Subject: [amsat-bb] Drake Internal Preamp Mod

> I have considered adding an integrated preamp inside a Drake 2880.  I
happen to have a couple MMIC preamps with 14 dB gain and a 2.5 NF:
> http://catalog.rell.com/rellecom/Images/Objects/2100/2054.PDF

Hi Jerry,

Sounds like a mod which can be found on Masa's web site
This was a later addition to the original conversions which can also be
found on his site.  It uses MAR3 or MAR5 devices and has worked for me.
Using a simple signal source I found that it increased the signal and
reduced the noise somewhat.  FWIW I copied several frames from s2 beacon
using a 16 turn helix until the trees closed my  station in for the summer.

George  W2CID