Re: Re: Converter TX protection-- MMIC "fuses"

HMM.. well.. It's a stock Down East Microwave TCK kit with an additional
transistor and two resistors to form an inverter-- I mounted it in a hammond
Die Cast Box with a heatsink and connectors I had.

The box has RF input/output and a TX IF output/RX IF output and a PTT input
-- the PTT "high" circuit is used with an additional transistor inverter
stage on it that forces the unit into TX when not connected to anything or
at 0V DC on the 2m RF cable from the radio.  The +13V DC on the preamp line
on the 2m cable provides a logic high to the extra transistor inverter
stage, which pulls the PTT "high" circuit low, dropping the TCK into
receive.

Otherwise on TX its a simple attenuator- on RX a MAR-6 MMIC amp.

The heatsink is necessary for the non-inductive TO-220 cased 50 ohm load to
burn off most of the energy on TX.

I'd put a schematic of it up, but I think Steve Kostro at DEM is a bit
sensitive (or should be!) to these sort of things. So here is the mods
instead:  Literally build the kit as intended and add a molded choke
(provided in the kit) to the center conductor of the rig RF line, and shunt
the other end of that inductor to a 0.1 uF cap to ground.  Run this point
(cap and inductor junction) through a 10K resistor to the base of a
2N2222/2N4401/etc.. have a 1K resistor in the collector, and the collector
tied to 12V.  Emitter to ground.  The collector should be tied to the "PTT
high" circuit on the TCK.

With the preamp on, and the "External VHF preamp ON" menu item enabled, the
radio will RX via the MAR-6 in the TCK (and the RX in jack on the TCK) and
TX out through the attenuator and the TX out.

If you lose DC to the modified TCK, it'll go into TX mode (deafining the RX
so it'd be obvious) making the RF from the rig burn up mostly in the
attenuator in the TCK.  This is normal on key down (TX) on the 847, and
abnormal if you accidently turn off the "preamp" voltage or something bad
happens.  It should protect the converter in any case.

After building it, if it works, it should go into TX with +13.8V applied to
power it, but disconnected from the radio.  Once connected, turning on and
off the "preamp" should key it on and off.

Fred W0FMS