Re: Weak Signal Banquet NF numbers..

>From: "Frederick M. Spinner" <fspinner@hotmail.com>
>Also one other argument I've heard is that it's simple to replace the ERA-3
>in the SSB converter as a 2M transmit fuse.  I think a mmic could be fitted
>in the IF of the 3033's easily if the IF amp is toasted.

Here is an alternative to placing the mmic into the unit:

I have built two broadband VHF mmic amps using the MAR-6 to produce 20 dB
IF gain [per stage] for boosting the IF level of my radio telescope's 144
MHz IF [output of the DEM 1420/144 Rx converter] to drive a hot-carrier
detector diode for wideband [about 35 MHz bw} astronomy observations.
There is no reason that you couldn't build these to augment the VHF or UHF
output of your 2.4G conv.  10 vdc produces 20 dB gain.

Everything was ordered from DEM:  A small diecast box with sma connectors,
pcb for the mmic, mmic, feedthru cap for power, chip caps and resistor for
biasing.  It has been a few months since I ordered this, but I believe it
cost about $35 per stage.  It takes about half hour to build and they work
[no tune up].  If wanted as a kind of RF fuse,  just order a few extra
mmics.  Ten minutes max to change out [four lead device].

DEM:  http://www.downeastmicrowave.com

Look under catalog/accessories:

MMICK (mmic kit)...$10
MAR 6 (17 dB min)...$2.20/ea
ROSE-S (2x2x1.25 inch case)...$15
SMAPANEL...$2.50/ea

Tell Steve what you are doing and he'll make sure you have everything needed.

Ed