Drake Internal Preamp Mod

I have considered adding an integrated preamp inside a Drake 2880.  I happen to have a couple MMIC preamps with 14 dB gain and a 2.5 NF:
http://catalog.rell.com/rellecom/Images/Objects/2100/2054.PDF

This little (and I do mean "little") device will fit easily between the input N-connector and the RF amp.  All it needs is +5 Vdc, which is available right from the 7805 inside the Drake, and one 1,000 pF decoupling capacitor.  I know this would not be an "ultimate" mod, but it looks relatively simple (and cheap) and should help with both the NF and gain limtiations of the Drake.  It calcs to a 4.3 dB Beacon S/N improvement on the W3PM calculator (thanks Gene!).  That's better than adding another antenna!

I intended to do this 3 months ago and just simply have not had time to get to it.  If any of the more experienced/knowledgeable RF-gurus out there know of any show-stoppers with this mod, please chime in.  Now where are my tweasers and magnifying glass...
73,
Jerry, K5OE