RE: Disparaging Helical Antennas for AO-40...some notes

John, and other folks:

I stated in another posting that I do not have or read the literature on
building a cavity reflector for a Helix, but now "Zack, W1VT"
<zlau@arrl.org> has told of his article in the Sept. 97 QEX.

Assuming you do not have that issue, in brief here is what Zack showed:  A
cavity for a 10-turn helix on 2.4G is 2.04 inches diameter and 1.98 inches
high which Zack obtained by scaling the cavity designed by King and Wong in
their study published in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,
vol. AP-28, March 1980, pp 291-296, "Characteristics of 1 to 8 wavelength
Uniform Helical antennas".  Zack did not include any formula for determing
the cavity, so applying these dimensions to a different length helix is
unknown to me.  Zack  did not know how King and Wong fed the antenna, so
this is one for you experimeters out there.  You will be going where no Ham
has ventured before :-)

Please do not ask me for this publication.  I do not have it.  I'm merely
passing along the reference from Zack's QEX article.  Good luck!

Ed