Re: 2.4 Ghz Helix--stacking distance

Pieter, and the rest of the helix stackers:

I was waiting to see who would get it correct.  The best comparison is
stacking of yagis.  In both cases the physical size is smaller than the
effective aperture.  For best gain optimum stacking occurs approx. when the
individual apertures just touch.  Wide spacing will cause sidelobes to
enlargen.  Smaller helps the sidelobes but lowers gain.  For a transmitting
antenna the optimum is when the apertures just touch.  For receiving, noise
pickup from the ground is more critical, so sacrificing 0.5-1.0 dB of gain
is acceptable to minimize the sidelobes.

As Pieter says, If you know the gain of an individual antenna, then you can
solve its aperture from this formula:
G = 4*pi*Ae/WL^2... or Ae = G*(WL^2)/4*pi

Of course Ae is the effective aperture and should be circular in shape for
a helix [a yagi has an elliptical aperture]  Thus Ae = pi*R^2, and the Tx
stacking distance is equal to 2*R.

My guess is for 2.4G downlink antennas you should try 1.6*R to 1.8*R.

Now the big question is what is the gain of your helix?  Good luck on that
one ;-)

Ed
BTW did everyone see my reply on stacking gain?  You will not get 3 dB for
a 1x2 or 6 dB for a 2x2 array.  Subtract .25 dB for every doubling [rule of
thumb used by experienced eme'rs who stack yagis]: 1x2 add 2.75 dB, 2x2 add
5.5 dB.

Another rule of thumb for yagis is that stacking distance is half the boom
length.