Re: Myers Dish Orientation

Mike, I think you meant horizontal polarization, which has the long dimension of the antenna vertical.  That is the way Bruce, KK5DO, mounted his and he gets very good signals with just a converted Drake 2880.  We choose to mount it that way for the same reason:  takes up less room on the boom and keeps the metal further away from the V/U antennas.  I don't know if there is any ground gain to be had at 2400 MHz when the satellite is near the horizon, but that be an added bonus to that orientation.
73,
Jerry, K5OE

fwinder@one.net writes:

> For those successfully using the Myers barbecue grill type dish for 2400
>  Mhz  what is the correct orientation?  I note from inputs that is is
>  apparently used  either in a vertial or horizontal polarization
>  configuration.  With the longer part of the dish pointing vertically I am
>  presuming this would give horizontal polarization?  Thanks for info on best
>  polarization.  73, Farrell Winder, W8ZCF.

N1JEZ writes:
Mount it either way. It's a linear feed and AO-40 is circular so either will
work. FYI, I have mine mounted vertically to save some space on my cross boom.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
Local Area Coordinator