AO-40 and switchable CP requirement?

I'm dredging from not fully formed memory:
If I recall correctly, AO-10/13 used RHCP antennas that had really big
sidelobes (I seem to recall they were like -4dB peak and made the whole
volumetric pattern look like a 3-D fleur-de-lis).  So switchable CP made
a lot of sense since the sidelobes would be LHCP and often at usable
signal levels (when polarization matched).
I haven't seen the same statements made about AO-40.  Are the antenna
patterns cleaner?  I haven't noted anyone on the list mentioning the
need to polarity switch yet but perhaps that's an implicit assumption.
Thanks,