Re: Disparaging Helical Antennas: Use a DSS Dish for a reflector?

Chris,
If you have a DSS dish, it's intrinsic performance will be hard to beat with helices, even an array of them.  Several people have reported good results with an offset helix feed in the range of 5 turns.  Since these dishes are generally a truncated parabola, more turns are required to avoid over-illumination.

Besides, the support requirements for an array of parallel helices on a parabolic surface would be a daunting challenge for a guy who gets most of his high-tech material at HomeDepot :-)
73,
Jerry, K5OE

<< >

Hi Jerry,

I was going to try this, but you guys seem to already have the parts, why not use a DSS Dish as the reflector on your 16-32 turn helix? I would be very interested in the results as it might save me some time. Otherwise I will give it a shot as time allows.

Happy Hunting with Antenna Alchemy!

Christopher Cox
KC8FRJ