Re: RE: DSS Dish

This afternoon I finally got my homebrew 26" dish mounted on
my rotors.  At the moment it is doing really really well.
It is copying the beacon perfectly, at about 4 S-units
above the noise.  This is with a 27 degree squint at 43000 km range.

It is much better than the 13-turn helix I was using until now.
Under the current conditions, I would have expect the helix
to get maybe 50% CRC good telemetry blocks.

The dish is made from 12 one-foot-long 1/4" square metal rods welded to a
central hub like spokes of a wheel.  They are each bent in two places
to form an approximation of a parabola, and the whole thing is covered
with a round piece of metal mesh. It uses a 4-turn helix for a feed,
connected to my DJ9BV preamp and a old DEM convertor.

I'll see how well it does later tonight when the transponder turns on.
At the moment there is 10 feet of cheap RG-58 coax between the preamp
and the convertor.  As soon as it stops raining I can replace that
with some LMR400, and I'll probably get another dB or so.

Doug
NA1DB