Re: Disparaging Helical Antennas for AO-40...some notes

Scott,
Yes, NEC4Win95 can make those adjustments.  I'll have to get one of my EE buddies here to pull the IEEE paper for me.

> In spite of all this I'm building a 2x2 helical array, N=18.  Should be
> 20.6dBic according to K+W plus some array theory calculations, all in
> less than a square foot (but a square foot that's two feet long hi).
> Why?  Because I Can.

Ahhh!  It sounds like a helix arms-race!  I'm building a 4x4 helical array, N=32.  It is also one foot square (by almost 3 feet!).  Why?  Because I want to see how it will perform.  Rumor has it Joe, K0VTY, is also escalating.  Jess, W4MVB has kindly offered to loan me his 2.4 GHz bridge to make the tuning adjustments.

> I'll be on AO-40 by the end of the summer...I'm
> treading water as fast as I can!

I'm on now, but my receive setup is soooooo disappointing.
73,
Jerry, K5OE