From: Adamson, Alan <Alan.Adamson@BellSouth.com>
To: 'amsat-bb@amsat.org' <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Wednesday, 23 May 2001 02:47
Subject: [amsat-bb] For those with TS2000's - calibrated S-Meters

>All,
>
>I hooked up the HP8920A to my TS2000 and calibrated it's S-Meter...
Actually I have two of them... a regular 2000 and a 2000X that I just picked
up at Dayton.

>Here was the results of both the S-Meter and the RX NF (the S-Meter test
was done with a 1khz tone in SSB and the filters set to 300/2400, freq on
this test was 433.350).  This is not a sensitivity test... I'll give you
that below.  I'll try to do a 145mhz test as well to see if anything
changes.

>S-Meter
>Nothing on the meter (next increment of signal will give an S0 reading)
>-116dBm
>S0
>-115dBm
>S1
>-113dBm
>S3
>-110dBm
>S5
>-107dBm
>S7
>-102dBm
>S9
>-93dBm
>
>I also did a NF test... I generated a 1khz tone with the filters as set
above.  For a 10db SN, I got the following
>-130dBm
>
>so do the math.
>-130-10=-140 (the 10 comes from the 10db SN
>-140-30=-170 (the 30 comes from 10*log(1000))
>-170+174=4.  I'd say that is a +-1 value.
>
>So for the 2000, looks like a  5 for the NF and a bandwidth of 2100.  One
note, I cranked in the cw filters and shut it down to 50hz (yes you can do
that on the 2000).  Needless to say, I couldn't generate a low enough signal
to test this and I didn't have an external attenuator.  My HP only goes down
to -136dBm and I still had too much SN in this setting :-/.  One final note,
the 2000 uses IF DSP and it may artificially effect the NF to the good....
Either way, that little sucker is pretty impressive.... assuming I did the
tests right :).