Re: Kenwood TH-F6A in grainy 3rd rate pics

Hi Howard.
You know, I have not owned an HT since the early 80's, but I'm starting to
get tempted.  The rumored street price is only $100 more than I paid for a
Euro-version of the VR-500 last year.

howard@howardlong.com writes:

> I asked the same guy about the TS-2000, in particular about the firmware
> issues and the AO-27 birdie too.
<snip>
>  In particular I discussed (a) the transverter power out issue when in
> satellite mode, and (b) the inability to change absolute frequency via the
> computer interface whilst transmitting.

The PC/transmit issue is resolved in the firmware upgrade.  When they
upgraded your firmware for the 23 cm S-meter fix, didn't they do the
PC/transmit upgrade?  Danny, VA3DH, pushed them to expedite this fix.  I
believe the transverter power issue is also a firmware fix.  I have asked
them to simply put in a software switch:  on/off.  It's a "feature" only a
non-user could have specified and actually built into the radio.  Looks good
in print.  Works stupid in the real world.

>  On the AO-27 birdie issue all he'd say was that it was documented in the
> manual. Mmmmm. Not quite in so many words. True the frequency is
documented.
> But I didn't see a big banner headline anywhere saying "this satellite
radio
> won't work AO-27".

I have talked to the Kenwood folks in Atlanta and they assure me this is
being worked on in Japan.  Unfortunately, it looks like it will not be a
simple firmware fix like the others.  It's just another non-satellite-user
issue in their testing program.  Read all about in next month's AMSAT Journal
:-)
73,
Jerry, K5OE