From: "Estes Wayne-W10191" <W10191@motorola.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 5:18 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Connecting ULNA to TranSystem dipole

> I plan to order a 0.7 dB NF ULNA next Tuesday when the DEM folks get back
from Dayton.

> The TranSystem downconverter comes with the dipole feed connected directly
to the downconverter input.  So I have to figure out a way to put the ULNA
between the dipole and the downconverter.  I already have the specially
machined N-connector adapter to make the connection to the downconverter
input.

> I'm looking for advice about how to connect a coax cable to the existing
dipole.  I don't know much about microwaves, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't
solder pigtail leads from a coax cable.
> Has anybody else figured out a good way to connect a cable to the dipole?
The connector on the dipole resembles the back side of a panel-mount N panel
connector, except the center pin is smaller diameter and doesn't protrude
very far.  There might be a way to attach a double-female N-adapter. be
easier/better to make a new dipole feed?

> A picture of the dipole can still be found on the original K5GNA EBAY
auction (click on the center left small picture)
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1221333912
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1221333912>

> Maybe it would be easier to make a completely new dipole feed?  Any
construction and physical mounting tips would be appreciated.