Re: Any new toys at Dayton?

Bob Bruninga wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2001, GEORGE ABBOTT wrote:
>
> > I'm also seeking word on the new satellite capable handheld ,as I was about
> > to purchase an ICOM t81a before word on a possible new product from Kenwood
> > began to circulate.Can anyone shed further light on this alleged new
> > product?Please advise.Thank's,KA1AJF
>
> No, it is not a "satellite" radio...  That was my exaggeration!!! <GRIN>
> But an HT with an all mode (SSB/CW) receiver will ceratinly allow you to
> listen to the analog downlinks of FO20, FO29, RS12 and AO10 with a
> suitable antenna or AO-40 with a suitable downconverter...
>
> Now then, how much fun can we get by plugging in a dummy plug and Key to
> the MIC jack of the FM transmitter and sending CW on the UHF or VHF
> uplink?
>
> It is a triband 2m/220/430 FM HT with a SECOND all mode, ALL BAND
> receiver....  Kenwood makes no mention of "CW" of course.  In fact, I am
> sure it will be VERY CHIRPY CW as it will take the synthesizer many ms to
> lock up each time you press the PTT...  It will sound terrrible when using
> an FM transmitter in CW, but I cant wait to try it.... just for silly
> little demos...
>
> I hope that clarifies my exaggeration...

Thanks Bob , sounds like a keeper for me , sheesh , I finally found
something that will make me get rid of my VX-5r ( thought I'd never let
go of it ) , and its nice to see one of the big 3 finally acknowledging
that 220 does exist :^p

Now , I say again , did yaesu have anything new , or was it just the
ft-817 and the other stuff they have ?

Ok , off I go , gotta make my house ready for this week , its supposed
to hit above 80deg tomorrow for the first time this year .........

73 all
--
Douglas Cole   N7BFS
AMSAT#26182 , K2 # 544