Re: Any new toys at Dayton?

On Sun, 20 May 2001, GEORGE ABBOTT wrote:

> I'm also seeking word on the new satellite capable handheld ,as I was about
> to purchase an ICOM t81a before word on a possible new product from Kenwood
> began to circulate.Can anyone shed further light on this alleged new
> product?Please advise.Thank's,KA1AJF

No, it is not a "satellite" radio...  That was my exaggeration!!! <GRIN>
But an HT with an all mode (SSB/CW) receiver will ceratinly allow you to
listen to the analog downlinks of FO20, FO29, RS12 and AO10 with a
suitable antenna or AO-40 with a suitable downconverter...

Now then, how much fun can we get by plugging in a dummy plug and Key to
the MIC jack of the FM transmitter and sending CW on the UHF or VHF
uplink?

It is a triband 2m/220/430 FM HT with a SECOND all mode, ALL BAND
receiver....  Kenwood makes no mention of "CW" of course.  In fact, I am
sure it will be VERY CHIRPY CW as it will take the synthesizer many ms to
lock up each time you press the PTT...  It will sound terrrible when using
an FM transmitter in CW, but I cant wait to try it.... just for silly
little demos...

I hope that clarifies my exaggeration...

de WB4APR,

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

ISS-APRS FAQ:       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
PCsat Design        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/pcsat.html