Re: Expected noise results with Drake converter (no satellite.)

Al and Hasan,

Eary this morning, after trying my 18 inch DSS RCA dish/5-turn Helix/Drake
[435 MHz IF...xtal changes only], 50-foot Rg-213 [2.5 dB loss], to a
FT-736R [a freind's], I have to report total failure to hear the beacon!  I
then subtituted a BBQ style dish with 21 dB gain and dipole feed, and could
just detect the beacon about 1-2 dB above noise.  This at about 63,000 km
and squint ~6 degrees.  This is not quite the expected and estimated 7 to 9
dB S/N!!!

Not sure what the problem with the offset dish/helix is: pointing probably,
feed adjustment, bad feed [swr?], not enough antenna gain, too high NF, not
the expected IF gain from the Drake, ...?  All the above?

I was visiting the qth of my freind Mike, WL7BQM, and his Meyers dish [~24
dB] dipole combo, Conifer preamp [NF?], Rg-6 coax, FT-736R is doing
fantastically well.  We heard the beacon from 25 to 35 dB above the noise.
He has 100% copy on the TLM with ao40Rcv.  We had fun working a few stations.

So folks, there is theory and there is reality.

I'm back to the "drawing board" and the bench.  Waiting for my Kuhne
preamp.  Looking at setting up a 4-foot dish.  Wondering why the little
dish performed over 35 dB down from Mike's system?  As they say...stay
tuned for future developments.

Ed
Al, with no satellite you should see a significant rise in Rx noise when
you turn on the preamp.  I see about two s-units; some see up to S-9!

To: "Al Lawler" <alawler@us.oracle.com>,