Expected noise results with Drake converter (no satellite.)

  Configuration:

  Ft736r -> 25' rg6 -> Drake(With "easy mods" -> 24dbi bbq antenna
(and no satellite in view)

   What should I expect to hear with the above configuration
when I power up the converter?

I'm not attempting to recieve any  satellites yet,
and understand the importance of a preamp when I do,
but for the purposes of debugging what I have built so
far,  should I expect to hear a change in the
"white noise" on the 2m reciever (tuned to 144.050 or so)
when I power up the converter?  Are there any "birdies"
generated by the converter which I might be able to
tune to to verify whether the converter is working or not?

  Thanks,

  -al