Re: Orbit 250 apogee

Hasan,

It is a an Excel spreadsheet.  I presented it at SETI-Con01 last month and
is to be placed on:
Http://www.setileague.org/software/

I checked last night and it has not shown up yet.  Exec. Director Dr. Paul
Schuch makes weekly updates on the weekend [Saturday usually], so it may be
there this next week.  My companion sw g-t.xls is there, but I have revised
an error in the algorithm so you should get the new version.

BTW I tried http://home.hiwaay.net/~nmarcus/ and the page is not there?
have you a better link to it?

A complete downlink analysis program is what is needed to answer all these
questions from the bb.  Your description implied that the nmarcus sw does
this.  It was something I have been thinking about but haven't gotten
around to.  Hey, the S2 signal is up there so real measurements can be made
vs. theoretical analysis.  I think everyone forgot about the power sharing
penalty on the link budget [10-13 dB].  But everyone should know by now [if
they are reading the bb].

The Tsky and Tant are estimates; no calculations done.  Tsky may be
available from radioastronomy sky-noise maps, but above 15 degrees
elevation 10K is pretty close.  If you are in a dense urban RF environment
then 30K may be more realistic, but with antenna elevation that should
diminish.

Finding Tant is much harder.  You can arrive at it by using g-t.xls and
measuring your system G/T ratio, plug in what you think your antenna gain,
sky temp, and receiver temp [NF] is and solve for Tant:  Tsys = Tr + Tsky +
Tant.

I just took 10% of To = 290K [ambient air temp] as a good target for Tant.
If you limit dish edge spill-over to -15 dB or better you'll approach this.
 For helical antennnas I don't have any idea what their Tant is.  Low Tant
is tied to low sidelobes in the antenna pattern, since they can look at
thermally hot ground.  A clean antenna pattern gives a low Tant.

Regarding the NF of the FT-847, this is not theoretical.  It was measured
as 14 dBNF [with the internal preamp OFF] and 8 dBNF with the preamp ON by
a well-known eme'r two years ago...sorry!  If you look at sensitivity vs.
NF, it is very predictable for a given receiver bandwidth.

With your:
>Rx ant: 26 dBi
>UEK-3000-144: .7 dB NF and 30 dB gain.
>2 dB of coax loss @ 144 mhz
the NF of the FT-847 is negligible [turn OFF the internal preamp as it will
be overdriven by the conv].

Ed