Re: S-band receiving requirements

Unfortunately this whole situation was predictable, even with the
unpredictable events that occurred. Way back when during final integration
and test, I posted a message about characterizing the transponders before
launch and making the data public so that the user community could do
accurate link budgets. These characterizations are usually done in two
parts. The amount of signal required at the receiver to saturate the
transponder is one important figure and is usually specified as Saturation
Flux Density. The other important figure is EIRP at saturation. The last
piece that pulls it together is output power backoff, or how far below full
output is the transponder being operated. This format is used commercially
and allows consistent analysis from satellite to satellite.

When this information becomes available we will KNOW what to expect,
assuming we know what we are working with on the receive end. In the past
few days some real good info has come across the BB that will help us all
get a better feel for our stations capability. We are all learning new stuff
here. If you were lucky enough to hit the right combination the first time,
congratulations, but try to have a little patience for the guys who didn't
and are trying to figure out why..... like me  : )

Sorry for the soapbox...
Howie
AB2S