Re: Laser on board AO-40

>I wonder if the contamination that seems to be affecting the camera
>will also be a problem for the laser?  Where is the camera installed
>compared to the laser?

>Greg.

While the contamination is significant as far as imaging is concerned, I
suspect that if similar contamination is on the laser lens that it will
simply cause some scattering and a <0.1 dB loss.

At this point, I thing a bigger worry is to get the perigee raised and 3
axis stabilization running.  With the spacecraft attitude changing
somewhat unpredictably at each perigee, pointing the laser will be
problematic.  I also think it will be much easier to do the pointing with
reaction wheels rather than the magnetorquer system.