Re: Orbit 250 apogee

 Wayne wrote.....

"Ideally we would all get 0.5 dB NF downconverters and 24+ dBi antennas,
plus
precision rotors to handle such a narrow antenna beamwidth.  But most of us
don't have all that, and should we really need that with a 50W transponder
and high gain antennas?  Maybe the current LEILA-controlled "power per user"
is appropriate for some time in the distant future when there are 100+
signals on the transponder.  But it doesn't seem reasonable now when there
are few users and most of us are struggling to hear the satellite."

So are you saying that we should allow excess power as normal because we
*can't/won't* build better receiver-systems?????

Let me know RIGHT NOW before I go and do ONE HELL of a lot of work improving
my receiving ability and I can work the bird now....... (I would like to
have the EXTRA 15 to 20 degs of elevation that you guys get over us here in
Alaska)........I'll take down the Meyers and take the preamp off the
Drake...............................Put up a vertical and run 150
watts....Hell, I'll buy a kilowatt amp..... It's OK....only a few operators
on right now.....

ALL THESE YEARS OF  """YOU CAN"T WORK THEM IF YOU CAN"T HEAR THEM""""""" I
love this new way of doing things....The easy way out.........

I don't want to ruffle feathers but I'm not sure if that way of thinking is
good for ham radio....

de mike
WL7BQM
BP40