stub cut on AIDC 3733

A few days ago I cut the stub on my TranSystem AIDC3733.  To my surprise,
the noise level on the 123 MHz output only increased from S0 to S1.  The
noise level still gradually climbs to S3 when I tune up to 144 MHz.

The lower noise level at 123 MHz can only be caused by two things:

1. The AIDC 3733 still has less gain at 2401 MHz.
2. My FT-847 receiver is less sensitive at 123 MHz than at 144 MHz.

Anybody willing to hazard a guess as to the real cause?

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA