Re: AO-40 Reception

Has anyone else out there used a Drake with an outboard preamp--
I did all the mods that don't require spending $$$ on the Drake
so far (not the MGA MMIC, Toko Filter)-- which supposedly puts the thing in
the 6dB ballpark (I'll find out at Dayton I suppose).. I have an old DEM
2400 MHz (LUA) preamp, measured at CSVHF 2000 to have 11.8 dB gain, and a
0.82 dB NF.

Interestingly enough, the Drake behind that preamp seems more sensitive than
the OLD DEM downconverter behind the same preamp.
Which is wierd as the DEM converter should have the same to nominally
less NF.. (It does have less conversion gain, though)...

I guess I'll need to pick up one of those transystems at Dayton and
try it out..

Fred W0FMS