Re: Looking for dish information

> Can anyone recommend a good source for parabolic dishes (raw) for use with
>  Mode S.

Down East Microwave (DEM) (see www.downeastmicrowave.com)
sells a couple dishes including a nice 60cm spun aluminum dish.
It's very light weight and has predrilled holes.  Standard disclaimer:
I don't get anything from DEM, I'm just a satisfied customer.

If you want to go cheap(er), James Miller, G3RUH, made a parabolic
dish out of  a used 60cm parabolic "lampshade" and used it with
success on mode S.   See his articles on www.amsat.org.

Ed Krome, K9EK, has also mentioned that he once used a cooking wok
(see photo in "Mode S: the book").  His book also has a section
on building your own stressed parabolic dish with wooden dowels
and window screen material.   I'd bet he has a few more good ideas
too.  Ed?

There's an old "73 Magazine" from the 90's that had an article
on a mode L dish made of shaped metal tubing bolted to a pipe
flange with windows screen material rivetted to the tubes.

Others have tried the old metal snow saucer sleds as a dish.
These are harder to find these days, and the one I have is quite
heavy (it's not aluminum, it's steel).

Me? I've got a DEM 60cm dish, but I'm also going to try a
plastic snow saucer sled covered with metal tape.  (One for
receiving QSOs and telemetry,  one for the transmitting end
of QSOs).  Also, the plastic saucer is very lightweight and
slightly flexible (so it won't dent).

Douglas KA2UPW
dquagliana@aol.com