Re: Tnx Info S-Band Downconverter + a question

On the FT-847 power up-- turn on the menu item that says "VHF Preamp:  ON"
and then press the preamp button on the front panel to on/off.

As far as the short circuit protection-- according to the FT-847 manual,
there isn't any.  It states quite clearly that you can damage
your rig by doing this.

The good thing about the preamp power is that you could put a relay
and a dummy load into a box, and if the "preamp" power is taken off (either
by transmitting or turning it off at the front panel), your converter is
switched out of line, and the dummy load is switched in
-- pickup a transfer relay at a hamfest, and your set, or use the
Ramsey electronics "RF sensed" relay kit to do the same thing (but the
RF sensing isn't used, just the Omron RF PC-board relays) in this
configuration.  I've done this... it works...

Fred W0FMS