Re: AO-40 reception on 78 Turn Helix

> I just finished building a 78 turn helix for mode S. I had already tested
> the helix antennas at the short end of the range. Now it is time to test it
> at the other extreme. This antenna is almost 8 feet long. It is wound like
> all my other helixes on a transparent plastic form and using copper tape of
> .250 thickness. I have tuned it and it gave me about 1.2 SWR. I plan on
> testing it on tonights pass.

WOW!
You have great patience!

I will be curious about how you finally end up mounting it to prevent
sag. It would seem that any misalignment on the order of a inch or two
may affect the performance. Please post the details of your support
bracket. Also, is the tape really .250 thick? Maybe it is foil that is
.250 wide? I'm a little confused there... Or are we talking mm ?

My son, KD4YJB, Vince,  is ready to build one of these!

Thanks for sharing,
Vince KD7AI