AO-40 reception on 78 Turn Helix

Ok Guys,

I just finished building a 78 turn helix for mode S. I had already tested
the helix antennas at the short end of the range. Now it is time to test it
at the other extreme. This antenna is almost 8 feet long. It is wound like
all my other helixes on a transparent plastic form and using copper tape of
.250 thickness. I have tuned it and it gave me about 1.2 SWR. I plan on
testing it on tonights pass.

This antenna should also resonate on the HF band. My prediction is somewhere
around 10 MHz. I only need to add a counterpoise.

Pictures are here:

http://www.ozoni.com/n4ip/78turnhelix1.jpg
http://www.ozoni.com/n4ip/78turnhelix2.jpg

Pieter Ibelings